Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Albert the Fix-It Man - Janet Lord

Illustrated by Julie Paschkis
Peachtree, 2008
$15.95
32 pages
For: Young kids, especially boys (I don't want to be sexist, but I know my grandson would like this)
Endpapers: Black with white tools of all sorts....clamps, flashlights, scissors, paint buckets, levels, balls of string, and even a hand-turned-old-fashioned-egg-beater-type drill.

I have becomje a Julie Paschkis fan - I just love her art. This story, written by her sister, is simple and fun and sends the message, "what goes around, comes around."

Albert helps everyone in the neighborhood by fixing fences and leaky faucets and even mending broken teacups. So when he gets a terrible cold, the neighborhood comes together to fix him a meal and make him feel better. I wish I had an Albert.

Again, Julie Paschkis delights with her simple, heart-warming drawings. Covering the entire page with a pale yellow instead of white the designs she uses - right down to the spotted cat, dishes in the cupboard, and the flying birds - just tickle me. Her website lists her books (there are quite a few!) and takes some peeks at her other artistic ventures.

No comments: