Thursday, July 4, 2013

Driving My Tractor - Jan Dobbins

Illustrated by David Sims
2009, Barefoot Books
HC & paper (Carlisle's Bosler Library)
32 pages
for very young kids
Goodreads rating: 4.40
My rating: 5 (I have to say it's wonderful, Tristan loved it and enjoyed listening to it over and over and over again.
Title Page: Fully covered colored illustrations of the drier and his tractor, just like the rest of the book.
Illustrations:  Acrylics and Pastels.  Bright and lively and wonderful.
1st line: "Driving my tractor down a bumpy road./ And in my trailer, there's a heavy load./ There's a black-and-white cow Going moo, moo, moo! It's a very busy day.? Chug, chug, Clank,clank, toot!/ It's a very busy day."
Last four pages include two pages of farm trucks and two pages of crops that are grown on a farm..  The final page is a song with the music.

A farmer goes down a bumpy road every day to pick up heavy loads: one cow, two donkeys, three pigs, four lambs, and five chickens...until he hits a really big bump and they all fall out (then beat him home).


My comments on Goodreads: Tristan loved this book, the repetitive, rhythmic words and the colorful illustrations (he just turned three and LOVES "krucks"). We got this from the library and it had no cd, I didn't even know there was a song until we turned the last page of the book and saw it. We'd actually sung the words all the way from the beginning without realizing, it's a very singable book. Highly recommended for little guys (and I mean both boys and girls) who love trucks and/or farms.

No comments: