Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September Roses - Jeanette Winter

Illustrated by the author
Frances Foster Books, Farrar Straus Giroux, 2004
32 pages - compact size
Hardcover $14.00
I own this one - she's one of my favorite illustrators
Goodreads 3.88
cag
endpapers: white background with 1/2-inch simple black "roses"
title page: a simple box (reminds me of a zentangle box) with simple roses in two colors - these are the roses that are drawn throughout the book

I just realized how much Jeanette Winter's illustrations remind me of Zentangling.  She's been one of my favorite illustrators for years, and I have found myself so drawn to Zentangling  - it all makes sense to me now.  This is a simple book, based on a true story that took place on 9/11.  I'm going to share it in school with the kids today - kids that were born three years after that fateful day.  It's been 12 years. It was a day that not only affected American greatly, but changed the way that we live and think each and every day.  That said, the book itself doesn't flow smoothly enough for me. The words and illustrations are wonderful, but seem somewhat disjointed..... I'll see what my fourth graders think.

Goodreads Summary: On September 11, 2001, two sisters from South Africa are flying to New York City wiIt jroses to be displayed at a flower show. As their plane approaches the airport, a cloud of black smoke billows over the Manhattan skyline. When they land, they learn of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. All flights are canceled; the sisters cannot go home, and they are stranded with boxes and boxes of roses.

In the days that followed September 11, Jeanette Winter was drawn to Union Square and saw, among the hundreds of memorial offerings, twin towers made of roses. In the pages of this small and vibrant book, she tells a moving story.

No comments: