Sunday, June 1, 2014

POETRY PICTURE BOOK - Poem-Mobiles: Crazy Car Poems by Patrick Lewis and Douglas Florian

Illustrated by Jeremy Holmes
2014, Schwartz & Wade Books
HC $17.99
32 pages
Goodreads rating: 4.14
My rating: 4.5
Endpapers: Dark brown tire treads on another deep brown
Illustrations: "rendered in pencil and watercolor, then digitally colored (I wish I knew what that means!)

Giant Bookmobile of Tomorrow

I am a very moving van.
Driver: he's the Gingerbread Man.
Fuel: imagination power.
Speed: a dozen aisles per hour.
Whether it be comic strips,
Poetry at your fingertips,
Picture books or trivia,
The Wizard of Oz, Olivia,
My bookmobile has just one goal:
To entertain on cruise control.
but kids get on at every block
And I forget to watch the clock.
So if my van is "overdue,"
It's okay if you are too.
    
        J. Patrick Lewis

Balloon Car

My dadddy drives a car that floats
an inch aabove the street --
a hundred colorful balloons
tied to a bucket seat.

And once he blows his xar up,
Daddy never wants to stop.
But boy, does he get made at me
When I call out -- "Hey POP!"

J. Patrick Lewis

My comments:  This book of crazy, wacky poems is just plain fun.  I plan to use it as a writing starter/prompt with my fourth graders....read them a poem without sharing the illustration, get them to sketch what they see in their minds eye from the words alone, then share the illustration.  I can see the writing continuing on from there...some of my clever kids will fly!

Goodreads: The U.S. Children's Poet Laureate and an award-winning children's poet join their prolific forces in this picture book of poems about cars. But they're not just any cars: there's the "Sloppy-Floppy-Nonstop-Jalopy" ("So unique there is no copy"); the Bathtub Limosine ("With hot water heating / And porcelain seating"); and the "High Heel Car." Each of the thirteen quirky, inventive poems will speak directly to the imaginations of children, as will Holmes's high-concept, detail-filled illustrations.

No comments: